Under the Cemeteries & Crematoria Act (2003) and the Cemeteries & Crematoria Regulations 2015, the Cemetery Trust is obliged to establish rules for the management of the cemetery (Section 180 (h) of the Act)
“the structure, maintenance and management of memorials, places of interment and buildings for ceremonies in public cemeteries”
OH&S requirements don't allow for receptacles such as glass or ceramic jars, vases and ornaments, nor tin cans, and alcohol to be placed on grave sites or any other area of the cemetery, please respect this directive so we can ensure everyone can commemorate a loved one in a safe environment.
Plaque and Headstone Lawn Sites:
- A memorial plaque/s and cemetery supplied vase(s) can be placed on the concrete beam (plaque lawn).
- Flowers, trees, shrubs, fences, candle boxes, toys, ornaments, etc. are not permitted on the lawns.
- Floral arrangements are to be placed on the beam and within that grave site section, so it doesn't encroach on other people's sites or cemetery areas.
- The cemetery has the right and obligation to remove any unauthorised or dangerous items items.
Monumental and Vault Sites:
- A monument may be constructed on the grave site following the 'Australian Standards - Headstone and Cemetery Monuments'.
- All monuments must be approved by the Trust. Construction and installation is done via a registered stone mason.
- Bricks, masonry blocks, timber fences, and grave surrounds are not permitted building materials.
- Planting of trees, shrubs and other invasive plants are not permitted on or near the grave site or other parts of the cemetery grounds.
Cremated Remain Sites ('Rose Garden' & 'Under the Trees'):
- Rose garden beds are shared, therefore roses are not assigned to niches.
- Rose garden beds are maintained by the cemetery, if you have any concerns please contact the office.
- Planting of any kind is not permitted within the garden beds, however you may place a small plant inside a pot on your site.
Ornaments, candle boxes and any other item must not encroach on another person's grave or on walkways. Such items will be removed.
Seats and benches are not permitted anywhere in the cemetery without prior written approval from the Trust.
Please park in the car parking areas, conveniently located near the toilets or on Cades Road, under no circumstances can cars be parked on lawns or roads, roads must remain clear for emergency access.
The chapel is available for services booked through the office. Gatherings are not to be held under the chapel’s entrance as it is a through road, we have a gazebo located near the toilets that can be used for gatherings, that can accommodate catering needs.
To ensure everyone's safety we ask to please read and respect all signs and speed limits, the roads are shared walkways with pedestrians. Standard road rules apply within the cemetery grounds.
Thank you for your understanding.
Yan Yean Cemetery Trust